Vishuddhi Yoga School
Yoga Teacher Training Dharamshala
Syllabus for 200 Hour Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training
Our Multi-style Yoga teacher training is a combination of three main styles of Yoga practiced these days: Traditional Hatha Yoga and its therapeutic aspects, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, and Vinyasa Flow yoga.
- Hatha Yoga is the source of most Western yoga practices which spread from Hatha’s approach for stilling the mind and accessing the deeper levels of ourselves through the body and particularly the breath.
- A usual Hatha class structure would be a moderately paced practice combining yoga pose (asana), breathing awareness, pranayama (breathing practices), meditation and the chanting of mantras to open or close the class.
- A Hatha Yoga practice aims to balance yoga practitioner’s body, keeping it healthy in order to be free from distractions and access the subtle purification of the mind. The Hatha Yoga practitioner will eventually develop a subtle awareness within the body that aids in cultivating a meditative state.
Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga
- At Vishuddhii Yoga 200 Hour Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training we instruct Ashtanga Yoga in the tradition of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. Ashtanga Vinyasa is a dynamic heating practice that aims to detoxify and still the mind. Ujjayi pranayama/breathing is practiced throughout to bring about this detoxifying effect. Ashtangis focus on one point or Dristi to avoid distraction and go inward whilst engaging bandha locks to contain the energy created.
- Traditionally Ashtanga is a fixed sequence where each practitioner would practice in the same way every day. The teacher would watch and assist and give the next pose in the series when the student was ready. The student would eventually build up a full primary series and then be introduced to the next. This is a systematical approach allowing for the body to gain flexibility and strength slowly.
- On 200 Hour Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training our teachers instruct each asana in detail explaining modifications and props where needed. Students practice these asanas according to their capacity. We teach the whole primary series including rules of sequencing, pranayama, chanting, and dristi.
- Vinyasa Yoga is a modern fast-paced practice derived from the Ashtanga Vinyasa system and the Guru T. Krishnamacharya himself. The essence of the practice is to flow between yoga postures while breath and Drishti (eye gaze) are synchronized. Every change is smoothly linked to a breath. The breath supports the movement starting with one posture then onto the next. The difference between Ashtanga and Vinyasa is that the latter has no set sequence and each pose flows into the next organically.
- Modern day Vinyasa is popular worldwide and on 200 Hour Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training we focus on instructing our students in intelligent sequencing that both strengthens the body and allows the flow of energy to move. We teach from an alignment point of view and so even though students will move more quickly we emphasize a holistic and safe practice that heals and not harms. Students will learn how to structure a class from an alignment, anatomy and energy point of view.
Alignment for injury prevention and adjustment
Here, on the Vishuddhi Yoga 200 Hour Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training course we aim for all our students to experience subtle awareness and cultivate a mindful yoga practice. In Therapeutic Hatha Yoga, we assess each student individually in order to give appropriate asana or modification that will correct physical, mental or other levels of imbalance over time. Using an alignment approach to address injury and imbalance we teach students how to modify poses with the correct use of props and physical hands-on adjustment to work with students of all kinds.
Art of Teaching Yoga
At Vishuddhi Yoga 200 Hour Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training we consider it most important that our trainee teachers practice. Only by experience can a yoga teacher be authentic. Having said that the second most important aspect of a good teacher is that they can convey their message coherently. 200 Hour Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training offers student vital advice on classroom management techniques, structure, sequencing, and organization of classes. As well as confidence building activities. What sets our course apart is that students start to teach from the outset. We guide students through ways of instruction, demonstration, and adjustment including hands-on and the use of props. Each day students will practice the skills taught to them and will receive feedback from both teachers and peers.